American author and dance critic Sarah Kaufman says we’d all be a lot happier if we allow more grace into our lives. We give ten tips.
- Slow down. Rushing and grace don’t go together.
- Practice being tolerant. Really listen to other people
- Make space for others—on the sidewalk, in the train, in a café, at a meeting, in your life.
- Try to make things easy for other people.
- Don’t be hard to please. Accept compliments, or a seat offered on public transport. You can make other people feel good about what they are doing that way.
- Lighten your load. Take off shoes that pinch your feet. Free yourself of heavy bags.
- Move. Do yoga. Dance. It is easier to be gracious when your body is supple and relaxed.
- Practice being alert. Find grace where you least expect it.
- Be generous.
- Enjoy! Raise your glass to life!
- You can read more about the story ‘More grace in our lives’ in Issue 21.
Text Annemiek Leclaire Illustration Marijke Buurlage