If you want to live a more sustainable life, one place to start is with your clothes. For example, by washing that favorite jumper less often so as to make it last a little longer. Here are seven more tips.
- Wash jeans inside out so that the color fades less quickly.
- Buy good clothes hangers to avoid those horrid ‘hanger bumps’ and snagging on shoulders and necks caused by a poor-supporting hanger.
- Does your shirt have a few small marks on it, but is otherwise perfectly okay to be worn again? Then try removing them by hand; the less you wash your garment in the machine, the longer it will last.
- Keep your clothes in a cool, dark place. This way you prevent your favorite items from discoloration.
- Tights last longer if you dip them in water and place them in the freezer for a while. This reduces the risk of getting a ladder while wearing them.
- Let your clothes air-dry as much as possible, as opposed to putting them in the tumble dryer. Not only is this method better for your items, it’s also better for your energy bill.
- Don’t hang woolen sweaters; fold them and place them in your closet instead. This way, they are less likely to lose shape.
Photography Yasmine Boheas/Unsplash.com