If you want to live a more sustainable life, one place to start is with your clothes. For example, by washing that favorite jumper less often so as to make it last a little longer. Here are seven more tips:
- Wash jeans inside out so that the color fades less quickly.
- Buy good clothes hangers to avoid those horrid ‘hanger bumps’ and snagging on shoulders and necks caused by a poor-supporting hanger.
- Keep your clothes in a cool, dark place. This way you prevent your favorite items from discoloration.
- Tights last longer if you dip them in water and place them in the freezer for a while. This reduces the risk of getting a ladder while wearing them.
- Does your shirt have a few small marks on it, but is otherwise perfectly okay to be worn again? Then try removing them by hand; the less you wash your garment in the machine, the longer it will last.
- Don’t hang woolen sweaters; fold them and place them in your closet instead. This way, they are less likely to lose shape.
- Let your clothes air-dry as much as possible, as opposed to putting them in the tumble dryer. Not only is this method better for your items, it’s also better for your energy bill.
Photography Yasmine Boheas/Unsplash.com