They’re appearing all around the world: initiatives like Ladies Drawing Night and Social Sketch. Want to organize your own? We share some tips.
- Invite some friends you would like to draw with. If it’s your first time, limit the guest list to a few people you feel comfortable with.
- Stock up on drinks and snacks. It doesn’t have to be too complicated.
- Lay out all the drawing supplies and share them with each other. This is a great way to try out a new paint or discover your new favorite pen.
- Choose a theme. Not only does it help you get started, it’s also interesting to see how others interpret a theme.
- Talk about your work as you draw. One of the best parts about a drawing night is hearing other people’s tips and opinions.
- At the end of the evening, lay all the drawings out on the table and discuss them. You’ll notice that you get better with every drawing night.
- More about the Ladies Drawing Night can be found in Issue 22.
Text Jocelyn de Kwant Photography Kate Edwards