Michelle Obama grew up in a relatively poor family and had to fight her way to the top. Here are five inspiring quotes from the American lawyer, businesswoman and former first lady of the US.
In her autobiography Becoming , Michelle Obama beautifully describes how she became who she is today. About growing up in southern Chicago as a young girl, and then about attending the white Ivy League-institute of Harvard and working eighty-hour weeks as an ambitious lawyer. And how she finally had to find her place as a first lady, where every move was placed under a magnifying glass. Each role taught her more about herself and what she finds important.
‘Becoming me’, ‘Becoming us’, ‘Becoming more’: those are the names of the three sections in the book. And very aptly so, because if you really know who you are and what drives you, you can become more. In the final chapter, Obama writes: ‘It’s not about where you get yourself in the end. There’s power in allowing yourself to be known and heard, in owning your unique story, in using your authentic voice.’
Here are just five of Michelle Obama’s inspiring quotes:
- “You can’t make decisions based on fear and the possibility of what might happen.”
- “If you don’t get out there and define yourself, you’ll be quickly and inaccurately defined by others.”
- “Your story is what you have, what you will always have. It is something to own.”
- “At fifty-four, I am still in progress, and I hope that I always will be.”
- “People who are truly strong lift others up. People who are truly powerful bring others together.”