A tidy desk – be it at home or at work – leads to a calm mind. We give 8 tips on how to keep your desk clean and organized.
- Begin by sorting through all the papers cluttering your desk.
- Put all the things that can be thrown away in the recycling bin.
- Put anything you need to look at later in a container, or store the papers vertically in folders so they take up less space.
- Put any really important papers in folders with tabs, so you can find them easily when you need them.
- Remove any excess pens and/or pens that don’t work. Three pens, one pencil and one marker are usually all you need. Store them in a (beautiful vintage) cup.
- Keep small things like staples, paper clips and erasers in a small container or dish.
- Write notes on a notepad or in a notebook instead of on loose paper.
- Connect (charger) cords to each other with fabric fasteners such as Velcro.
- Avoid letting your desk become untidy again.
- Set a time (at least once a week) to go through your paper container. Things that can be thrown away should go in the recycling bin (see point 1) and so on.
- Look at all the remaining items and ask yourself: do I really want this on my desk?
- This ‘how to’ can be found in Issue 25.
Text Caroline Buijs Illustrations Louise Lockhart