If you’re looking for a quick way to relax, try the yoga-inspired 4-7-8 Breath technique created by the American doctor Andrew Weil.
- Place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth just behind your teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise.
- Exhale completely and forcefully through your mouth, making a ‘whoosh’ sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath and count to seven.
- Exhale completely and forcefully through your mouth, making another ‘whoosh’ sound, to a count of eight.
- Inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
- You can visit Drweil.com and see how it’s done by Dr. Weil himself.
Text Julia Gorodecky Fotografie Shutterstock